Friday, December 19, 2008

Facing Life Head On

Something I've learned over the past few weeks is to face life head on. This means not putting off to tomorrow what can be accomplished today. For example, sometime in the next 3 weeks I have to call Civic Hospital and book an appt. with the anaesthaesist (is that how you spell that?). (This would be for my upcoming wisdom tooth extraction.) I don't really want to. Cause I don't really want to go through with the whole thing. Who wants to go under the knife, get put out, and wake up all doped up and peeing in potted plants as my girlfriend put it. (A family member apparently attempted to do this after coming out of general anasthesia, thinking he/she was in the bathroom).

Anyways. I realized I can't put stuff off. If you have that piece of paper work to fill out for some government loan or benefit or drug plan. Fill it out. Don't say tomorrow. If you have something to pick up, but it's snowy and cold outside and you want to do it tomorrow, no. Do it today. Of course within reason. Don't endanger your life. But I mean, 90 percent, if not 99 percent, of the trials and ordeals we face throughout our daily lives involve non-life threatening issues. Filling out paperwork, getting your hair done, this and that. So go do it.

Cause life can't be a bowl of cherries. And I know we all know this by a certain age. But we still strive for it. We turn on the computer cause we don't want to do our homework. We flip on the PS2 or the Wii cause that'll kill some time and we don't have to go to the gym. This and that, this and that. You can always put something off. But if you do what you have to do when it should be done, you will find yourself a lot further ahead. It's hard to take that first step.

Example, going to the dentist a few months ago. I hadn't been in nearly two years. I didn't want to go cause I was worried they'd find a cavity or have to do a filling and that my wisdom tooth poking through would need to come out. In fact I was right about all of it. I had to get a filling re-done (that drill sure vibrates your jaw!) and I have to get that wisdom tooth pulled - not just the one but all 4 now! But you know what, once all that's done. It's done. Then, presuming I don't chicken out at the last minute, when I get my wisdom teeth pulled at the end of February, it's done. So when I have my next dentist appt. in June, I go and my filling is done, my wisdom teeth are out, and there's not really a whole lot left they can price gouge me for. lol. nah, they mean well. there's not a whole lot left they can do for me.

So when you tackle the issues as they come at you, you win. It might sound cliche, but it's true. Do what you have to do today, not tomorrow.

As for myself, I have an anaesthesist appointment to make...

No comments: