Friday, December 19, 2008

Good Songs

Every once in awhile I like to do a posting on some good tunes. Too many people miss out on good music - one of those things that helps us get through life. I would easily place it in the top 5.

Here are some songs that have been influential to me over the past six months:

TUPAC - often thought of in some circles as a typical, gangster rapper, Tupac Amaru Shakur was actually VERY poetic and in many ways, not at all your typical African-American rapper. His songs deal with social issues: poverty, drugs, street life, single moms, broken homes, deadbeat dads, and race relations. Here are some songs that have sort of been relegated to dusty and forgotten shelves - good songs with a purpose and a message: (NOT gangster rap! not all about the "bling, booze, and bitches") YouTube these titles:

They Don't Give a Fuck About Us
Last Muthafucka Breathin'
As Soon As I Get Home
Dear Mama
Ghetto Gospel
Unconditional Love
My Block

Next up, so many people miss out on good, foreign music. French, Italian, Arabic - whatever. Myself, I love music from the middle east. Arabic, Persian, Turkish, North African. It's all amazing. Well, to be honest, some of it isn't any good, but the songs that are, are true gems. They make for AWESOME driving music or workout music or simply "lift-you-out-of-your-bad-mood" music. Check these titles on YouTube:

Rai NB Fever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4BIYTE6jEA
Rai NB Fever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEpWs4Clw-U&feature=related

And One Of My All-Time Favourites! (My girlfriend can attest to this as I listen to it over and over again in the car.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS5PEPQwVyQ&feature=related

This song will pump you up!!!

Moving on (listening to it right now so im gonna type really fast and perhaps make some typos. bear with me.)

Other songs worthy of mention:
Nickelback: Gotta Be Somebody
Lights: Drive My Soul (she's Canadian)
The Killers: Mr. Brightside, Somebody Told Me (older, but still awesome)
Rocky Soundtrack: Going The Distance
And one of my new Top 10 faves: Thriving Ivory: Angels On The Moon

Enjoy. And listen to lots of music! It's good for ya.

No comments: